Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei Whai Maia serves to uphold the vision of Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei, to soar and fly like the Kāhupōkere, to the highest heavens – Kia rere arorangi te Kāhupōkere ki ngā taumata tiketike. In education that translates to mean to achieve in education to the highest levels possible.
Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei Whai Maia provides a range of services and support that go towards enabling whānau to soar to the lofty heights of education success and achievement.
The services we will be providing in 2018 are currently being finalized. Updates will be posted soon.
Within each of those portfolios lies specific and relevant services and support.
The services will include:
- Study advice
- Education news and information
- Advice and guidance relating to appropriate avenues of support outside of the iwi
- Resources that whānau can use to aid their learning and educational achievement
The support includes financial support in the form of:
- Subsidies and
- Scholarships, and the
- Provision of programmes, initiatives and
- Hui that can help to enhance, enable and empower the learning potential of te iwi o Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei.
Some of those programmes and initiatives that are currently running include the:
- Homework centre
- Matātahi wānanga
- Holiday programme (currently in the throes of handover from the previous provider)
- Young Leadership development
Our mahi has a hapū-centric focus and in that respect, we strive to ensure that our work aligns with who we are as Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei and how that can be maintained throughout all endeavours. We are using ORAKEI as an acronym for principles and practices that will guide the plans.