Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei Whai Maia (Whai Maia) was established in February 2013 to advance the cultural, social and environmental aspirations of Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei including, but not limited to the fostering of all aspects of Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei tikanga, reo, kawa and korero; the provision of support and assistance to Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei in respect of education, housing, health care, aged care and relief of those suffering from mental or physical sickness or disability; the development and enhancement of community facilities and mechanisms for the benefit of Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei; the provision of funding for the cultural and social development of the hapū; and any other charitable purpose consistent with the purposes of the Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei Trust as set out in the Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei Trust Deed.
Whai Maia operates in accordance with the Charities Act 2005 and the Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei Trust Deed. This statutory framework has a direct influence on our outcomes and investment to make a positive difference in the hapū where it matters most. The majority of Whai Maia activities are charitable or can be run as commercial ventures that support Whai Maia Ltd’s activities.
Whai Maia has a number of reporting mechanisms to report to the Trust including:
- Annual Report including financial statements
- Quarterly Reports to the Trust, providing commentary on the previous quarter's performance against the Annual Plan
- Monthly Reports to the Trust, providing an update on operations
- Frequent Meetings with the Chair of the Trust, and with the Chairs of the Trust and Whai Rawa.
- Information provided to the Trust on request and on a no surprises basis.